Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Creating a Backyard Water-feature: Tutorial!


My husband is a visionary.

When he told people that we were planning to 
dig out and extend our pit so that it ran across the back yard,
they would give him "the look".
OK.
Whatever.
What?

What I am about to show you
is the result
of his planning and scheming.

All of you doubters, take note.
When my husband gets a good idea in his head,
it's only a matter of time.
I must confess here and now
that I was one of the doubters...
but once I saw the machines start rolling,
I knew there was no going back.

Might as well pull up a chair (or boat) and
watch the magic!



First, you get yourself some really big machinery
maybe even two big ones, and a dump truck is also helpful...
Freddie Van kept a steady stream of these dumptrucks coming
to haul off the muck.

Note: Several days of dirt moving have taken place prior to this day's events,
many, many tons of dirt were moved from the bottom of the pit
to build the dam at the far end.

At this point, the main event is the final dig..
taking the dirt out of the middle so that the water can flow from the existing pit
into our new little cove.
Many people have asked us
 how in the heck were we going to get the dirt out of the middle to
 join the two areas.


A lot of digging and dumping is required.
They could have just dumped it out onto the side bank,
but hubs chose to have it hauled off rather than try to level it himself.
So thankful he made that decision, because you know who 
would have been out there mucking clods next spring?






Dig and Dump,
Dig and Dump,
repeat...



Move over, 
Dig and Dump.
Dig and Dump.




Here's the dam,
all ready and waiting to hold water.
that hole -looking spot is a hole.
Somebody got stuck there the other day.





We're not anxious or anything...




Still more digging and dumping...





Working from the other side
more digging and dumping...






Finally,
the water breaks through!
We even had little rapids for a while,
as the water spilled into the new pit!

Machines kept right on digging 
and dumping








Boat ride anyone?




Digging Digging Digging!





Jim put some big cedars that had to be taken out
into the water near the dam
for fish shelter...
They are almost covered up now.




In a couple of days they will dig out the right side a little more...





Then you smooth out the sides with a box blade,
plant a little more grass seed,
and wait for the rains to come and finish the job.

Stay tuned for 
our grandaughter's maiden voyage on

Cedar Cove!







1 comment:

  1. Mary Beth,
    This is fabulous! Your husband had a great visionary idea on this one. You're going to enjoy this for years to come and have so much fun. I'm looking forward to seeing it when the grass comes in.
    Well, you know my life has been crazy lately! This was a nice visit for me and I'm off to the hospital for the night. Thanks so much for your kind words. It's been a roller coaster ride, but I trust the transplant team.
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my happy place. A place where I can share ideas, projects, and dreams. I am a nester, a crafter, a creator and a dreamer I hope you will find inspiration and encouragement for the journey you are on. I am a Jesus follower, wife, mother and nana. Blessed beyond measure, just trying to live my life gracefully and make a difference in my small world. Join me!