Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

When my baby walked...





It's been so long since I wrote,
I'm not sure I remember how to do it!


I was hoping I could wow you
with a creative non-violent way
to rid the world of 
pesky cardinals.

But the sad news is,
the bad bird is 
not only still here,
He /She
has moved on to other windows and doors.

Last weekend when we had family here
for our youngest son's college graduation
bird went straight for the guest room windows.

My little grand daughter reported to her mama
"there's  a bird out there nibbling on the window!"


If it hadn't been such a happy weekend
with impressionable children present,
I would have marched out there
and given that bird a piece of
my mind.
No wait.
I have already lost my mind!

As I was saying,
 It was a happy weekend,

Here is Kevin as a new alumni of Pittsburg State University
with a Bachelor's of Science
in History Education.






That's Jason, our oldest in the background
looking pensive and wise,
probably feeling like
and old alumni.

So old...class of 2000.





We are through paying college tuition.
Four kids.
Four college grads.
We are extremely proud.
We are so proud of each of them.
But I must say there is something about the last one
finishing this milestone.
For the first time since 1981
I will not have anyone in school this fall.

This calls for a cigar, don't you think?









Days like these make you want to hit the rewind button
and have some do-overs.
You want to slow things down a whole lot.
You want to talk more and play more and try harder.
Instead,
  we celebrate
all the things we did right,
and all the things he did right,
and all the things the future holds.

Kevin, the world is your oyster!
What DOES that mean, anyway?

I knew I wouldn't be able to write this post without crying,
so while I wipe my nose,
here are some more peeks at  graduation weekend...



Big Sis, Little Bro.





A future Pitt alum????





Silly and Sweet!






You made it Kevin!
You made it Dad!
Congratulations to you both!










So proud.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys have given our whole family the legacy of education. It's amazing. Living her, I have learned to not take it for granted--the other day a friend (who can't read or write) asked how much education I had--she was amazed and proud that I had a college degree. She never got to go to school. She worked on a tobacco farm from the time she was old enough to work. I look at all of the books that Maya has and just think about how small the world is, when you don't have an education and can't look through the windows of reading and writing and learning out onto that great big world. I am so grateful for the education that you provided for each one of us. So thankful for the many sacrifices that you made silently, in order to give us the best shot you could. I hope we each make you proud with what we've done with your investment in us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got out my calculator (i know, i'm pathetic) and realized you've had kids in school for THIRTY YEARS! That's almost as long as I've been alive. Thirty years. Wow. This whole parenting thing--it's like the ultimate long haul, huh? . . .

    ReplyDelete

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my happy place. A place where I can share ideas, projects, and dreams. I am a nester, a crafter, a creator and a dreamer I hope you will find inspiration and encouragement for the journey you are on. I am a Jesus follower, wife, mother and nana. Blessed beyond measure, just trying to live my life gracefully and make a difference in my small world. Join me!